No products added!
Fake tans – the best option to be sun-safe and still look great! In order for you to purchase the best fake tan products, some competitive tanning companies advertise enticing, gimmicky statements such as “Longer Lasting Tan”. There are certain formulated ingredients proven to assist in achieving a longer lasting tan, however, learning the basics of the skin and the application of the best ever longest lasting tan will give you a greater understanding of how fake tans work.
Below, I have listed the 10 top tips on how to best get the longest lasting tan. But before you fast forward and read the ending, first understand the basic anatomy of skin and these 10 top tips on how to best get the best, longest lasting tan, will all make sense.
Our skin has 2 main layers: Dermis (meaning hidden skin) and the epidermis (meaning above). There are 5 layers for the epidermis and each layer (stratum) has their own function and purpose. Starting from the outermost layer:
- Stratum Corneum- Horny,
- Stratum Lucidum,
- Stratum Granulosum- Granular,
- Stratum Spinosum- Spiny and
- Stratum and Stratum Basale which is the deepest layer before the dermis.
These 5 layers of the epidermis are constantly transitioning to the next upper level for the skin to renew and exfoliate naturally. Just like every person’s finger print is different, so too is the rate of movement for the skin cells to transform from one layer to the next. The speed or rate in which the epidermis transforms and renews is generally 7 to 10 days but may vary dependant on diet, age, environment etc. Other than certain formulated ingredients within some fake tanning products, the rate in which the skin renews is the primary factor towards determining the longest lasting tan achievable.
When we naturally tan from ultraviolet sunlight, our epidermis absorbs this light and penetrates to the deepest layer, Stratum Basale or Basal layer. The melatonin (pigment) held within this epidermis Basal layer produce melanocytes, which in turn create darker pigments. Whereas, when we apply fake tan on the skin, the tan only adheres to the Corneum Horny layer, giving temporary 7- 10 days results. This method of fake tanning has been endorsed worldwide as a safe and effective temporary tanning result.
Here are 10 top tips on how to best get the longest lasting tan;
- Prior to the application of your fake tan, shave and gently exfoliate the skin’s surface ensuring that you focus on your knees, ankles, toes, elbows, heels and any other calcified or rough areas on your body.
- Stay out of the sun. Your fake tan is not a protectant against the sun’s harsh UVA/ UVB rays. The sun causes skin damage and will generate faster transformations of your skins wanting to renew its cells, reducing a long-lasting tan.
- Environmental issues such as swimming (chlorine, salt or natural), air conditioning (dryness), sunbaking, will reduce the longevity of your fake tan.
- Hydrate your body. Drink water, and then drink some more. Evidence shows that when we drink more water our skin changes for the positive.
- Moisturise your skin daily.
- Eat healthy.
- Avoid alkaline ph based soaps. Microfibre by itself is amazing for gently and effectively cleansing the skin without drying or irritating the skin.
- Avoid washing your skin too often. Over cleaning the skin shreds away the natural PH of the skin which will in turn affect the fake tan.
- Avoid smoking – easier said than done I’ve been told, but direct and passive smoking has a detrimental effect on your skin.
- Wear loose-style clothing wherever possible. Anything abrasive against the skin is, well, abrasive.